Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long is the selection process?
The process is approximately 8-9 months.
2. How long is the Academy?
The IMPD Training Academy is 24 weeks.
3. Will I receive pay and benefits while in the academy?
Yes. All IMPD Merit Recruits are full-time employees for the City of Indianapolis.
4. Will I receive my test scores during the application process?
No. All notifications for process advancement will be sent via email to each qualified candidate.
5. What are the living restrictions?
All IMPD Officers must reside within Marion County or one of the 7 surrounding counties by date of appointment.
6. How long must I be on the department before being able to join specialty units (SWAT, Bomb Squad, detectives, Mounted, etc.)?
Most specialty units require officers to have at least 3-5 years of sworn employment on the department.