CHIEF OF POLICE
Thank you for visiting our website. I am often asked what is an ideal IMPD officer, what skills set must they possess, and what qualities do we look for. Below you will find a list of some of the attributes needed to be a successful in the IMPD.
• Community oriented. You must believe in community engagement and serving something bigger than yourself.
• Physical fitness is an important job function. You may be required to work in environments/conditions that demand physical exertion. We expect you to meet the challenges and overcome obstacles presented to you.
• Polite, Respectful, Courteous, Fair and Empathetic-these qualities define our core values. Our oath of office dictate and affirm that we support the Constitution of the United States of America, the Constitution of the State of Indiana, City Code and Ordinance, and faithfully discharge the duties of the position of Police Officer.
• Poised and slow to anger are what makes us professional lawmen and law women. We do not always initiate conflict, nor do we shy away from it when proper and legal.
• Intelligent and well spoken are critical components to finding solutions to problems that face our community and its stakeholders. We reduce crime! We seek men and women who are creative in their efforts to improve the quality of life in our neighborhoods.
• Places a high emphasis on prevention and presence.
• Uses force when appropriate and deadly force only when it is absolutely necessary.
• Exhausts other means of enforcement before resorting to arrest with exception of a felonious suspect(s) or an individual wanted by a judicial court.
• Approachable and friendly, engaging the public in polite conversation often. Remembers names and uses them. Smiles often realizing that the old adage “You can attract a lot more bees with honey than you can vinegar” holds true.
• Refrains from profanity, threats or hostile gestures.
• Will not appear unsympathetic or unconcerned.
• Is very knowledgeable about his/her profession and is highly efficient.
Finally, an IMPD officer “considers the rights of others before their own feelings, and the feelings of others before their own rights.”
We are dedicated to upholding the highest professional standards while serving the community in which we work and live. We are committed to the enforcement of laws to protect life and property, while also respecting individual rights, human dignity, and community values. We are committed to creating and maintaining active police/community partnerships and assisting citizens in identifying and solving problems to improve the quality of life in their neighborhoods.
Values that Guide Our Actions:
- The protection and preservation of life is our fundamental objective. We will only use deadly force when absolutely necessary to protect the life of a citizen or officer when no other options are available.
- We are committed to developing a partnership with the community, employing creativity, patience, persistence, and an appreciation of diversity both in the police department and in the community.
- We shall perform our duties with an unwavering commitment to integrity and professionalism.
- We will be accountable to those we serve for our decisions and actions.
- We will accomplish our mission with empathy, compassion, and sensitivity at all times, with the highest regard for individual and constitutional rights.
- We recognize that each member of this department is valuable, and we accept our obligation to each other and to the community to provide the maximum opportunity for each person to achieve his or her professional potential.
Thank you for your interest in joining the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. We are seeking the “best and brightest” men and women to serve as members of the finest police department in the Midwest. A police officer constantly strives for excellence and must scrupulously avoid conduct which may have a negative impact on our profession. Our dedication to upholding the highest professional standards while serving the community in which we work and live are grounded in our core values.